[Dixielandjazz] [Norton AntiSpam] Transcribing

d. sleeman d.sleeman at hccnet.nl
Mon Sep 25 02:15:48 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike C." <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com>
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2006 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: Transcribing

Mike C. wrote a.o.

> I'm curious to know who your favorite artists to transcribe are.

I am curious to know why people like to transcribe solo's of renown jazz musicians in the first place.

You can transcribe the notes, but not the feeling, phrasing and timing.

If you might want to improve on your skills playing your particular instrument, play your own solo's, record them, transcribe them and analyse them!

Just my 2 eurocents hoping this will lead to a lengthy discussion...

Dick S.