[Dixielandjazz] Louie-isms

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 15:02:03 PDT 2006

Hi all,

We’re pretty much all familiar with the old quotation - attributed to
Armstrong - who, when asked “What is jazz?” said “Man, if you have to ask,
you’ll never know.”

That’s an interesting sort of statement.  I think I’ll call it a
“louie-ism.”

One could respond to the question “What do you mean by swing?” by saying
“Man, if you have to ask you’ll never know.”

By the way, all really hip jazz musicians say “Man” a lot.  It’s the
universal form of address. They call everybody "Man."

Anyway here are some more questions which can be answered in the same way:

Is Kenny G a jazz musician?
How do you improvise a chorus?
Is Rap music really music?
Which is most important, money or happiness?
What makes a girl (or guy) sexy?
May I call you "Man" even if you're a woman?

I’m sure you can think of some more “louie-isms” if you put your mind to it.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill “Why is the washboard such a lovely instrument?” Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com