[Dixielandjazz] Swinging?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 22 10:16:31 PDT 2006

Well the transition happened much in the same way that language differs in
various parts of the country with different pronunciations.  If you play
older trad and ragtime correctly the dotted eighth is exactly three times
longer than the sixteenth which gives it that ricky ticky, Lawrence Welk
sound.  At that time writers were trying to make sense out of swing and
write it but they did the dotted eighth / sixteenth and if you look at older
music that's the way they printed it.  They finally got it solved, more or
less by agreeing to print everything as even eighth notes and gave up on
trying to make it look like something and depending on the musician to
figure it out with unwritten rules.

When I first started playing with big bands in the 50's I was almost at a
loss as to how they wrote jazz and how I should play it  because I had been
trained classically.  I was lucky to be playing with some good Jazzers who
only made fun of me some of the time and I was a quick study.  So swinging
was a transitional process.  Yes guys "Swung" notes long before it was swing
as I did before I figured out how it was printed.
Larry Walton
St. Louis