[Dixielandjazz] Swinging?

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Fri Sep 22 15:21:21 PDT 2006

Russ;

Both you and Jim are correct. Jim is right in that "swing" refers to any
music which makes you want to dance, your feet to move, your fingers to snap
and so on. It's an emotional response to certain musical sounds. I find that
portions of Brahms 4th Symphony, the Hot Frogs Jumping Jazz Band, flamenco,
and klezmer have that very same effect on me.

You're right in that the "swing" of the swing bands such as Fletcher
Henderson, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, etc. is technically created by a
particular way of playing the music.

For whatever it's worth;

Stan
Stan Brager