[Dixielandjazz] Swinging?

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Fri Sep 22 09:10:33 PDT 2006

Technically, a "Swing" pulse is splitting a beat into three parts and tying the
first two parts together, followed by the third part.  They were playing swing
style for quite a few years before anyone figured out what was being done.

When I was in high school playing in our dance band, we played swing all the
time but did not know what it really was.  The big band charts sound really
great using swing rhythm.

I have an A. Shaw instruction book that discusses swing, but he did not
understand the "3 split beat" concept and explained it as a tied  three 16th/
one 16th figure, played in a relaxed fashion.

To me, Trad "swings" but not in the  technical sense.  It is exciting and fun.
IMO if you put swing into trad, it sounds out of place.

Russ Guarino