[Dixielandjazz] When is it not jazz?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 22 08:41:27 PDT 2006

I agree with you that free jazz is mostly a trick although I use other words
like crap.  It's a lot like chords.  Some people like chords that sound good
but by definition a chord is three or more notes and can't be the same note.
So a chord could be C, C# and D.  It won't sound good but it is a chord.by
definition.  (Are the chord cops going to come after me?) Virtually anything
with or without rhythm can be Jazz.  Now will I like it? -- probably not.
I too like swing and I just about can't tolerate some guy with a guitar and
some type of distortion pedal screaming out his improv but then again I'm a
dinosaur.  It's also like dance. There is interpretative dance where just
about any movement is included and may be very improvisational whereas
Ballet is exactly the opposite.  Which is better?

Jazz is in the eye of the Beholder.   I like Trad and it definitely doesn't
swing.
Larry
St. Louis