[Dixielandjazz] When is it not jazz?

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Thu Sep 21 16:29:25 PDT 2006

My humble opinion. Free jazz is a trick. Complete chaos culminating
in swing. "Oh yes, they can swing...." It's an effect, and it works.
I.m.o., when they leave out the chaos, the swing remains. But
mostly, in my experience, the swing is of low or mediocre quality.
But it's considered art. Swing is entertainment....
I know it's fighting windmills. Fighting the art police.

I might be wrong, but I don't think so...:)

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl