[Dixielandjazz] When is it not jazz?

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Sep 22 07:10:56 PDT 2006

Actually Jazz existed before swing was invented so it doesn't have to swing
to be jazz but some musicians use that term for "good jazz" as in "He
Swings" meaning he plays well.

One of the difficult things to get across and also do for jazzers is play
music without swinging it when required.  The further we get away from the
Ragtime and early Dixie eras is it becomes more and more difficult to find
musicians that can switch between the two.  We are so ingrained (and like)
swing that we just do it.  A good example is the Star Spangled Banner.
About the only people that play it correctly is military bands and symphony
orchestras.  Everyone else swings it and worse.
Larry