[Dixielandjazz] the suspended chord

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Thu Sep 21 15:33:34 PDT 2006

  "Actually, the suspended notation refers to suspending or raising of
the
third by 1/2 step to a fourth, not adding a fourth to the triad.  So a
"C
sus" would be C-F-G."  , ,
	,the third is not raised a half step.  It is instead actually replaced
by the 4th note of the scale for that chord, then dropped 1/2 step down
to the third if/when the chord is resolved.  ( Sorry Tom, I know that
I'm just making this a ridiculous  "toe-may-toe",  "tow-mah-tow"
argument)   Most commonly the flat 7 is also a member of the chord.
The use of this suspension is quite commonly heard at he very end of
Hymns, when they attach 2 bars of amen (Also . . . .amen = a phrase
commonly used by women)