[Dixielandjazz] Playing in all keys - was getting serious for a minute

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Tue Sep 19 10:43:34 PDT 2006

 Steve writes:

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com] On Behalf Of Steve Barbone
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 11:03 PM
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Playing in all keys - was getting serious for a
minute

::snip::
Good advice Mike. One of the easiest ways to start playing in all keys is to
do the Blues in all keys.
[Tom] Sound advice and good practice. I sit in with a "rocker" when on
vacation in the British Virgin Islands. He is guitar with a band in the box
occasionally added for back-up and loves the unusual addition of clarinet to
Beatles, Jimmy Buffet, etc. After he realized that I would play in his keys,
he turned to me and said, "Here's a blues I wrote. There are some nice leads
in there for you. You'll hear them and it's in E . . . 1 . . 2 . . 3  .. 4
:-)
I survived it in good shape and now practice the blues in all keys. Sheesh .
. 6 sharps . . . Everything on the sides of the horn :-)

Tom Duncan
201-836-6076
www.doctordubious.com
doctordubious at verizon.net