[Dixielandjazz] Playing in all keys - was getting serious for a minute

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 20:03:06 PDT 2006

"Mike C." <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com>

> I think it's good to play and perform in all keys if you can. After all we
> practice things in all keys, so why should we limit ourselves to the keys of
> F, B-flat, E-flat & C when we perform? Whenever I learn or transcribe a new
> lick, I learn it in all the keys. It's good practice and it's one less
> obstacle to worry about later.

Good advice Mike. One of the easiest ways to start playing in all keys is to
do the Blues in all keys. Jamey Aebersold has a backup record for aspiring
musicians which facilitates this. I think he also has another record out
with several songs in all keys.

My violinist friend Jonathan Russell (age 11) just learned Cherokee in all
keys. Fun, especially the bridge. We often switch keys on him on various
songs when we perform together and he never stumbles. He'll hear it even if
we don't tell him. Last year, I was using a substitute piano player and
called "After You've Gone". We always play it in Bb and I didn't think to
call the key to the piano. He gave us an eight bar intro in F after which
some of us started in Bb. However, Jonathan, playing lead, and the Bass
player heard the key as F and came in correctly. Took me and the trombone
player a half measure to make the switch.

My lowly band does not limit itself to F, Bb, Eb and C. We also regularly
play in G, Ab, and Db. And when we do Horace Silver tunes, we get to that
wonderful Gb, (one of his favorite composition keys in addition to Db)

I suppose if we played in Rock bands, we'd get to more sharp keys. ;-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone