[Dixielandjazz] Getting serious for a minute

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Mon Sep 18 15:52:22 PDT 2006

I was doing an afternoon show at an expensive retirement hotel that was
sponsoring an afternoon of jazz with three bands.

During a break, I wondered over to one of the bands and took a quite
look at the tune they were playing.

It was in Gb concert.  I happened to know that the band, consisting of
seven pieces had four subs.  On of the guys was a killer coronet player
who could not read very well.  His part was in Ab. He was not playing.
How many guys can sight read Gb concert at 180 BPM?

Question:  Why have a tune in Gb when with just a half step lower it
would be in concert F, which everybody could play?

Russ Guarino
Monterey Lighthouse Jazz Band