[Dixielandjazz] Getting serious for a minute

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Mon Sep 18 16:12:13 PDT 2006

> It was in Gb concert.

Are you sure it wasn't in F# concert?

> Question:  Why have a tune in Gb when with just a half step lower it
would be in concert F, which everybody could play?

Possible Answers:  Because the chart started out in F and modulated, or
perhaps will end in G.  Because the writer did a transcription using
off-speed equipment, and wasn't smart enough to make the obvious
correction.  Because the arranger was a sick and vindictive individual
bent on embarrassing unsuspecting sidemen.

But my vote for the most likely explanation is:  It didn't actually
happen that way, but it makes a good hypothetical.

I give up...  Why?

-- Paul Edgerton

I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can
spread.