[Dixielandjazz] Chord averaging - was Two horn front line

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 15:14:12 PDT 2006

Hello listmates,

Ginny points out a minor difficulty in the Chord Averaging Accompaniment
system:

>It's delightful that you assume more than one chord player in a group can
>agree on how many chords/changes belong in a given song.  You see, the
>stumping
>point is what number one would divide by.

Perhaps. It is but a minor problem and what with hand held calculators the
problem is not that insurmountable.  As a matter of fact, there is one style
of music which has been practicing this method from its inception.

I refer specifically to Rap.  Those of you not familiar with the art form
should know that the entire production of any Rap tune involves only the
tonic chord. There are many extraneous noises in Rap tunes some of which are
fairly rhythmic but nothing one might refer to as "some other chord."

Rap does have lyrics, most of which are incomprehensible to those with an
education beyond Junior High School - A sample lyric may go something like
this:

A yuaww, be a mo-fo!
pickin' wi mah ho!
know whut I be say'n?
yo! Gots to git mo!
Sho!

Actually that is pretty clear but then it's just a sample - the real lyrics
are usually much harder to understand.

Oh yes - Rap also makes great use of the digitally produced bass note which,
when amplified in a typical Rap fan's ride (automobile) is capable of
removing all the dents in the vehicle body.  That's why you never see a Rap
dude's car with dents in it . . . bullet holes, perhaps, but certainly no
dents!

Know what I'm sayin'?

Bill "no mo fo" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com