[Dixielandjazz] Enjoying the Discussion on Ensemble Tips

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Sep 17 22:58:02 PDT 2006

Shalom Ginny,

When Doctor Jazz first started about 5 years ago, we had only banjo, tuba
and drums. And the banjo player was still quite new -- did fine with rhythm,
but no solos. We would usually bring a washboard and try to enlist someone
from the audience, or the drummer or I would play it sometimes. We did a
bunch of gigs with that line up, including private parties and some
restaurant gigs. While we could have been the bottom of a band in search of
a front line, we weren't. I played melodies on the tuba and sang, or played
a base line while the banjo player sang, and we used kazoos, sometimes all 3
of us at once, and we made it work. Of course, what we do now with a better
line up is much nicer, but we made music then too, and we had audiences that
liked it.

Blessings,

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band