[Dixielandjazz] Gig Deposits - Was turning off the young

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 9 06:22:09 PDT 2006

Yep, do not take any future gig for granted. Anything can happen.

Contracts and deposits are important, though I never ask for 50% in advance.
10% will do. And if you get stiffed, you, as the band leader should pay the
sidemen out of your own pocket because YOU booked them, not the client.

Basic Musical Fact: MUSIC (played for money) IS A BUSINESS. No different
from any other business. One side supplies the product for the highest price
it can, and the other tries to buy the product for the lowest price it can.
So, expect that both sides will try and take advantage of each other.

I've never been stiffed in 15 years of band leading, other than a few
cancellations a month in advance or so. And I've always paid my sidemen, in
cash, at the gig, whether I've received the money then then or not. That's
why I get a leader fee. (and maintain a high 4/low 5 figure balance in my
band checking account for gig payrolls)

Get the contract, get the deposit, play for people you like, not the bottom
feeders. Nothing feels better than turning down a gig because you don't want
to play for some idiot who is a known pain in the butt, or who badgers you
to get you to lower your price, saying stupidities like "I thought you did
this for fun?", etc.

Yes, we do it for fun, BUT MONEY IS HOW WE KEEP SCORE IN THE GAME.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone