[Dixielandjazz] Red Sea Jazz festival

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Sep 3 23:21:00 PDT 2006

Hi Folks:

Still fighting off the Jet lag, from a very long trip, but a wonderful
experience nonetheless.

Steve has already given a very good description of the Journey and no
matter what anyone might think of him being arrogant and bragging in
his story, I pretty much concur with it.   There were eight of us on
this venture and I can assure you we are all going to say much the same
thing with little if any difference.  Steve got home earlier than I did
so he has a few hours up on me to recover, :))

We were indeed greeted and taken care of with class and style not
unlike many other world class festivals I have had the honor of playing
outside the USA.  You see although I have preached it until I am Blue
in the Face, Outside the USA Jazz, Blues and Black Gospel Music is
considered to be the USA's  ONLY CONTRIBUTION TO WORLD CULTURE.
Therefore running an organization called Ambassadors of American
Culture is a privilege and honor for me, and one which I take very
seriously.

when Preservation Hall Jazz Band cancelled their appearance at this
festival because of the conflict situation, it simply closed a door for
them and opened one for me.   This Festival has had my promotional
materials for St. Gabriel's for at least a year, and I had received a
note form the festival director that he would contact me in the future
when he saw an opportunity to invite us.

Here was his opportunity, and he did so with one exception, he wanted
me to alter the music of our normal show to try and replace the
Preservation Hall Jazz Band Show.    Why?  because his understanding of
Traditional Jazz is only Preservation Hall Jazz Band,  because they
enjoy the best Worldwide Name recognition in Traditional jazz.    Now I
had the same problems with some of my regular players as PHJB had, they
were afraid to go because of the war, and a couple more of them have
teaching careers that required them to be back in the class rooms and
prohibited them form going on such short notice.

Many of you have read my personal opinions about the PHJB in the past
on this list, and they are exactly that, "My personal Opinions"
and some of those guys are friends of mine, and I never ever meant any
disrespect to any one of them personally.   That being said, for me to
get a call to replace them on short notice and have to bypass my own
personal highly opinionated show of Traditional New Orleans music as
presented by Saint Gabriel's and agree to present a Show closer to PHJB
was still viewed by me as a unique opportunity to get a hip modern
Traditional Jazz Show on the map in a new market.

Now I know that the producer of this Festival is a staunch hard core
BeBop Jazz player and lover of that style of music, so I knew I would
have a hard sell to convince him that Saint Gabriel's regular show was
exactly what his festival needed for a shot in the arm and to turn his
bored audience upside down.   ( not unlike my words to many USA
Traditional & Dixieland Jazz Festivals for the past fifteen years who
did not buy it either).   Therefore being a businessman, I agreed to
deliver him what he thought he really wanted, and at the same time
convincing him that he need not worry about the music, because I would
deliver him a much better show than he had just lost, and that his
audience would certainly not ask for their money back because they did
not get to see PHJB again.

He was of course worried because I was bringing players from all over
the USA and we were not gong to rehearse the show before arriving.
What did I tell him to relieve his fears ?   simply that I had chosen
players who have been playing this music for at least forty years and
that if we did not know it by now we never would know it, and that we
were all professionals and could play better than PHJB on their best
days.

Yes, Guys Like Me and Steve Barbone talk a lot of  ( S**t,  as was even
stated by one of my new Trombone players, but who quickly added, "but
you back it all up too."   That being said,  I do not recall any one
single person even mentioning the name PRESERVATION HALL JAZZ BAND
after our sound check, which was the first time we had ever all been
together on one stage or even in one state together:

Every musician on that bandstand was there for a reason, are there
Dixieland players on this list better than the lineup I chose, sure,
but could they do what we did collectively, probably not in "100 years
 from today "  I invited and chose guys who I on instinct knew would
arise to the occasion and deliver a high energy fire in the belly show.
   And I am very happy to say that they did not disappoint me in the
least.   Everyone of them came thru like true professionals and
troopers with one goal in mind, "Be the surprise Hit of this Festival"
and take no prisoners.

The first note I received this morning from the Festival was simply:

Dear Tom:  "Thank you for your AMAZING PERFORMANCES at the RED SEA JAZZ
FESTIVAL"

Pretty much sums it up, and we all had a wonderful time enjoyed their
wonderful hospitality and genuine friendship, food and appreciation for
great music which we were blessed to provide.   Did we open doors for
future OKOM artists and bands to appear there, you bet we did.   We
were in the right place at the right time with  the right show to
advance OKOM for all of us.  But be forewarned, Saint Gabriel's
Celestial Brass Band and now "Ambassadors of New Orleans Jazz Band is
going to be a very hard act to follow, so don't try it unless you
really have your act together.

As I always have stated:  There are always GOOD Gigs for Good Bands,
and I won't deliver anything that is not GOOD, this aggregation is as
good as it gets, S**t talking and all, we definitely backed it up.

So please guys do not take this as crowing and beating my own drum, I
do not get these kinds of gigs because I do not deliver a great show
every time,  I have a staunch rule in my band business,  I don't EVER
GIVE THE MONEY BACK !  and so far in forty + years NOBODY has ever
asked for it back :))   So I must be doing something right.

I would like to take a minute and publicly thank, Steve Barbone, Paul
Grant, Bob Romans,. Johnny Wilder, Buddy Apfel, Marc Bolin, and James
Levi for making this trip under extenuating circumstances and assisting
me in delivering the back up for the S**T I talked to get the gig.  :))
   we broke two legs each :))   P.S. it also paid a lot more than the
typical $40.00 a set Dixieland players are offered here at home.   You
see folks where I go to play they appreciate great music and are
willing to pay for it.   And I have earned a reputation for delivering
great entertainment and shows.   Does that make me special?  no not to
me, it is simply the way I have always viewed this business and I
learned a long time ago the Customer is always right :))   This
festival proved it again as the Audience who paid to see and hear us
got much more than their money's worth and they paid a lot to get it
too.

And these performance certainly would have put to rest any notions
about American Jazz Bands not being the best in the World, and I am not
saying that to get a rise or insult any of our wonderful European and
Australian bands and list mates,  Guys it was simply Magic, raw and the
REAL DEAL just like it was in the beginning.  No rehearsal, no charts,
no arrangements, just great cats doing Jazz like they felt and the
audiences responded accordingly.

I have said it before and I will humbly say it again,  We are all
blessed individuals who have this gift to be able to do this and even
more blessed to make a living doing it.   This troupe traveled across
the world to do it having never done it together before and did it
first take, now it just does not ever get any better than that,  We
probably could not have done it much if any better if we had tried.

We combined three different styles of OKOM players together in one band
and made it happen, how by listening to each other and feeding off of
one another's music and energy and the audience's energy and
receptiveness.  This was one of those times when it was really all
about the MUSIC, and we played some Great Music too.   None of us
wanted to stop, even though we were wringing wet and drinking water as
fast as they could get it to the stage in the 90 degree heat at 11:00
at night.

Now as for old Silverhaired sexpot Barbone,  After the first concert I
was trying desperately to get to the porta potties to relieve myself of
all that water and the three beers I had before the set because the
water was warm and not too tasty, and could not progress in the long
line because young ladies and middle aged ladies and even some  guys
kept asking me to step out of line to make a picture with them,
thanking me for a great show, and telling me how very very grateful
they were that we came to play for them, and how we were the best Band
at the festival, and were we coming to the Jam session  ??

Having played many of these major Jazz festivals, James Levi and I have
sort of been there and done that, and know that they are primarily gong
to end up as long modern or latin flavored stretched out jams which
will beat a drummer to death, so being  the sly old dogs that we are we
almost always lay back in the cut and tell the youngsters to go on up
and get their jollies by playing with all the heavy names.   Being two
guys who have always made our living as professional musicians we value
our  off stage time as much as we do our on stage time, and since wee
do not get paid any extra to play all night in a Jam session, we very
rarely do so, nbot ego at all just a time for us to mellow out at the
bar and dig the other cats gettin' off.

You see when guys our age have done that we can then sit back and
appreciate the energy of the younger guys coming up and making a name
for themselves on the circuit, we did our show had a great time and
enjoyed sitting back and watching the other guys play.

Watching Steve and Paul blow with the Latin and bebop guys was
entertainment for us, as was enjoying the African artist Mory Conti's
show after ours, Our old friend Steve Lacy and Mingus Dynasty, and the
Cuban band with a great drummer who had already said everything there
was to say for that genre of music with his own band, and then went up
thirty minutes later and jammed with half of his energy for another
hour or more.   I never work that hard for the money :))  I long ago
lost my Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich syndrome sickness. :))   Let a young
fella come up to me and tell me he can play faster and hotter than I
can, no problem, I just look at him and say yep your right sonny, you
probably can and that's ever soooo cool for you, but I bet I MAKE A LOT
MORE MONEY FOR DOING HALF AS MUCH WORK AS YOU WILL DO trying it so here
is five bucks go get em kid.

   It was amusing to watch Steve and PAUL try to get those beboppers and
latin guys to play some OKOM when they got to the stage :))  they
called about three tunes and the other players all looked at them with
the old Deer in the headlights look, and had no clue what they tune
was :))   This folks is a direct reflection of not teaching the younger
generations about this great music no matter what our friends  in the
IAJE say, they have failed miserably in teaching the basic fundamentals
of American  Jazz in the never ending pursuit of being HIP!

Well on this festival "The Ambassadors of New Orleans"  proved What is
Hip :))  Job well done fellas, and I would take all of you anywhere to
do it again.

Thanks again guys, for a job well done,  Mission Accomplished !!   Hope
we can do it again soon and maybe in America :))

Now as for what my good buddy Steve said about Saint Gabriel's not
being  the right act to replace Preservation Hall Jazz Band, but rather
giving them a Dixieland Band I would have to disagree slightly, Saint
Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band is absolutely the Perfect Act to replace
them, but just like most American Jazz Societies opinions about
Traditional Jazz music of New Orleans.  I knew early on that I was not
gong to convince the director of this festival of that fact either,
because his exposure to real New Orleans Jazz was obviously limited to
PHJB and Saint Gabriel's Never plays that laid back, we go out to move
an audience and always do so.   Therefore I elected to give him what he
wanted but ten times better and a whole lot more modern and full of
energy.   After gong there and enjoying the great success that we did I
still realized that what they really need is a show that has Saint
Gabriel's on it, and Barbone Street Jazz band, and Cell Block Seven, to
give them an education about what else is available in America in OKOM.
   We would all compliment each other on a festival and all deliver a
great audience pleasing show in our own styles.

Tom Wiggins