[Dixielandjazz] The Voice of

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 2 08:13:32 PDT 2006

on 9/2/06 8:07 AM, Roger Wade at rwade1947 at comcast.net wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Whilst you and Tom Wiggins were off to the Red Sea Festival it was a
> bit quieter here on DJML.  Those who remained stepped up and kept
> things interesting but it was quieter nonetheless.
>
> I, for one, was looking forward to accounts of the trip, the
> performances, and the general experience of the event from both of
> you upon your return.  Please don't disappoint us.  Take some time to
> adjust to being back home and to let all of the experiences sink in,
> and then share some of those experiences with us.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Roger Wade
> Really Old Records
> www.reallyoldrecords.com

There is lots to tell. Here is my follow up note to the Voice of The Red Sea
DJ in Eilat. Not sure about posting the rest, lest my enthusiasm be
misinterpreted as arrogance and bragging and similar bullshit from some
negative detractors.

Will certainly send you the story privately after chilling out for a day or
two and collecting my thoughts. Will also send it to "The American Rag"
which may, or may not print it.

Cheers,
Steve

Dear Clive:

Thank you. We all had a great time in Israel and especially in Eilat. Thank
you for interviewing Tom and me, and for playing some Barbone Street and St.
Gabriel Tunes on your radio program.

Yes, that Wednesday show was really something. Many of those kids came from
the Jam session at which we had played the night before. They were very
enthusiastic at the session and we loved having them come on stage with us
during the performance. We got THEM involved in the program and they loved
it. They promised us they would come by on Wednesday night and they did. We
had an absolute blast. We felt like Mick Jagger in front of those kids at
the edge of the stage.

Golly, this 73 year old sex symbol, getting kisses and hugs from all those
17 year old girls? Oh my, what is this world coming to? I am truly sorry
that I did not bring my Mardi Gras beads. :-) VBG

Most ironic was the 50 something very pretty lady who came by at the
backstage door while we were surrounded by the kids and asked me. "Do you
also have some time for older fans?" Told her we had many back home and got
into an engaging conversation with her. We agreed it was a pity the band was
leaving for home within two hours. :-) VBG.

You have the only 2 CDs that Barbone Street made, though we may do a new one
soon. In the meantime, I have some other CDs which I can send. Do you want
Dixieland? Or modern? Over the years I have given most of my CD collection
away but I still have a few left which I would be happy to share with you
and those wonderful kids in Eilat.

Cheers,
Steve