[Dixielandjazz] The Voice of

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 23:20:39 PDT 2006

> As I write this I am listening to your CD " To Mack With Love" loudly so the
> neighbours will get grooving as well. I will be playing several tracks on
> Sunday night and for many weeks to come on my regular Jazz show called "
> Jazz Me Blue"

Fra Mike asks:

Is your show webcast?,

------------

No Mike and others it is not. I inadvertently sent that message to the DJML
when it was meant as a contact for someone else. Just a little tired from 4
glorious days in Israel and gigs here on Labor day weekend.

The program referred to is "The Voice Of The Red Sea" broadcast on FM radio
from Eilat Israel. It was referring to The Ambassadors Of New Orleans
performance at the Red Sea Jazz Festival. That band was put together by Tom
Wiggins who graciously included list mate Bob Romans and me, along with John
Wilder, Buddy Apfel, James Levi and Paul Grant.

That merry band of unknowns held court on the main stage (largest venue
there) at the festival. Got extensive radio and TV coverage while there.
Kicked ass and took names at the concerts and the jam sessions. Competed
successfully for audience against some very fine internationally known
modern jazz musicians. Drew a YOUNG AUDIENCE of about 5000 who paid a
separate venue charge to see them perform and were not disappointed.

Even had a 300 fan mosh pit in front of the stage at the second concert.
Hugging and kissing all those girls, but then, you don't want to know about
that show business stuff because music has only suddenly become visual and
many OKOMers don't like that. Besides, you know what Louis Armstrong said
about kissing and The Church doesn't like that, except under certain
circumstances. :-) VBG.

What? Give me a break, Italian Opera was visual hundreds of years ago. So
were Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima, and before that ODJB and Tom Brown's Band
>From Dixieland as well as Spike Jones and countless others.

(If anybody does want to know about Eilat and The Red Sea Jazz Festival
write me off list. It was extraordinary, especially for some of the band
members who had not experienced connecting with young fans before.)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone