[Dixielandjazz] What you should play in front of an audience was Maynard

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 15:03:38 PDT 2006

"Robert Smith" <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote (disagreeing with Kash)

> Sorry, Jim, but I can't agree. There's a difference between what you can
> play on your instrument, and what you ought to play in front of an audience.
> I play trombone where the top Bb is the normal highest note, and this is the
> highest note I would consider playing in front of an audience.
> However in the privacy of my virtually sound-proof cellar I often play an
> octave above this top Bb. The quality of the sound is reasonable up to F,
> but the remaining notes above this up to Bb are just an ugly squeal. The
> reason for playing this extra octave is, as you say, "because it's there",
> and also I think it improves my embouchure on the lower octaves. It gives me
> a lovely fat sound playing a pedal F, and also lets me fake from pedal F
> down to an ultra-pedal Bb (notes that aren't available on the tenor
> trombone) with a reasonably accurate pitch and a not-too-muffled tone.

Listmates:

Just back from Israel and going through the digests

Maynard is the wrong example to discuss regarding high notes as being
something that one should not play in front of an audience. He always played
high and he always had an audience that appreciated it.

So whether one should play, or not play them because they are there, comes
down to who the player is, and whether the audience is there for it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone