[Dixielandjazz] Understanding genius - was high notes & Maynard

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 15:53:32 PDT 2006

"pat ladd" <pj.ladd at btinternet.com>

> I just love the idea that genius is something which is not apreciated by the
> masses and that one has to be in some way `special` to reelly, reelly
> understand. Good grief! What a select little band of you there must be.
> Isn`t it easy just to brush away any criticism buy saying `Oh well, you
> don`t understand`
>
> I really don`t mind if you think that Maynard is God but I will not put up
> with such an elitist  brush off of the rest of us who happen to disagree,
> without a protest.
>
> Fie on you.

I'm hip Pat :-) VBG

But then, I also agree with Flip. Maynard is God to most jazz trumpet
players.

And I also agree with your take that the idea that one has to be "special"
to understand it (e.g. Only those in the know appreciate Maynard or OKOM)
might be elitist brush off. But we also must realize that Maynard had an
audience that appreciated him and paid good money to see him and his bands
perform for the past 60 years. Something very few band leaders or musicians
accomplish.

Different strokes for different folks is all it is. We might consider that,
the next time we brush off the "G" man, or hip hop. After all, very few OKOM
bands have an audience that pays the bills.  :-) VBG

As a modern jazz musician said to me in Israel at the Red Sea Jazz Festival
Jam Session; "Man you are one of those old school musicians."  Not as a put
down, but a simple fact and he appreciated what we were doing musically and
as entertainers. Much more tolerant than most OKOMers. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone