[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dancers

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Oct 24 17:43:20 PDT 2006

Paul,

Not to defend/interpret Steve, but I think where he was going was
about the bands that were in the "new-swing" trend of the late 1980s
to mid 1990s (with a few survivors to date.) Bands that were made up
of musicians under age 30 (at the time,) played driving swing & jump
versions of older songs or totally new songs.

(These were not the so called "youth bands" that Sacramento has been
presenting.)

I can remember comments (positive and negative) on these sort of non-
traditional bands since I have been on DJML (and that was around 1996.)

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Royal Crown Review,
Squirrel Nut Zippers, New Morty Show, Lavey Smith, many others...

I don't have a complete list of all bands ever to attend, but it
seems to me that very few of these bands played Sacramento - I am
sure for many different reasons. I think the only group that is
somewhat in this category that has been to Sacramento more than once
is Swing Session (AKA Stompy Jones.)

Now the "new-swing" fad has settled down a bit.  I don't know how
well a headline act like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy would do at Sacramento
- they certainly sold a lot of tickets for a recent  concert in
Northern California (and it wasn't all young folks in the audience!)
I do think it was a major flaw in the festival booking to ignore a
significant segment of pop/OKOM that could have drawn a whole lot of
younger folks from the Bay Area and even Southern Cal (if it had been
marketed properly.

Thee is yet another wave of alternative musicians that have taken to
playing new versions of old jazz and blues, adapting a few modern
styles and instrumentation. I think some of them would fit in well at
a festival like Sacramento, given proper scheduling and marketing. It
might be hard to convince a lot of younger people that the festival
could actually be interesting to them since it has such a long
history of being more than a bit "old-fashioned" ;-)

Dave Richoux
(BTW, I have performed about 15 years at Sacramento in 3 different
bands since 1978 - and I have attended most of the years I didn't
play. It is great but it could be a lot better!)