[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 46, Issue 40

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Tue Oct 24 16:45:25 PDT 2006

Steve Barbone wrote:
>> What were the rest of us doing for the rest of the 1990's to take
advantage of the interest or should I say revival of swing dancing?

I and hundreds of my musical friends were busy playing for these people,
happy to add them to our audience.  (We were glad that we had something
to play other than disco!)  That we didn't shout about it to everybody
shouldn't be construed to mean we failed to capitalize on the
opportunity.

>> Point being, "most" of us were studiously ignoring it and writing
posts about how kids are not interested in OKOM.

Is that a fact, or is that just your view of things?

>> By 2000, there were just a very few of us touting renewed interest in
Jazz because of "swing dancers" and because of the interest in Jazz that
was generated the Ken Burns program.

That's a very self-serving interpretation.

>> Seems to me most jazz festivals, including Sacramento, were also
ignoring the genre and the obvious opportunity swing presented for
increasing the audience for OKOM.

What?  Steve, I'm not sure you know what you're talking about here.  Did
you come to the Jubilee -- even once -- during the 90s?  Sacramento had
swinging bands like Allotria, Jazz Band Ball Orchestra, James Dapogney
and many others since I first attended in 1982.

I have attended most years since then, and they have always had bands
that appeal to dancers. Yes, even without been told, intoned, exhorted,
preached at and harassed to do so.  Most of the people who actually
deserve credit for this achievement are modest and very quiet about it.

We have been, for the most part, very candid in discussing the
shortcomings of the festival circuit.  We normally don't spend much time
congratulating ourselves for the good things we have done.  But there
have been many more successes than failures.

Come see for yourself.  Even *you* might be impressed.  And we'd
probably let you sit in.

-- Paul Edgerton