[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 46, Issue 40

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 24 13:17:23 PDT 2006

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote (polite snip)

> I hate to burst your bubble but I was playing for Swing Dancers in Los
> Angeles at the Derby, a very hip night club, in the late 80s & early 90s.

Hi Bob:

I'm sure you were. Always glad to hear about the exception(s) that prove the
rule. What were the rest of us doing for the rest of the 1990's to take
advantage of the interest or should I say revival of swing dancing? Point
being, "most" of us were studiously ignoring it and writing posts about how
kids are not interested in OKOM. By 2000, there were just a very few of us
touting renewed interest in Jazz because of "swing dancers" and because of
the interest in Jazz that was generated the Ken Burns program.

Seems to me most jazz festivals, including Sacramento, were also ignoring
the genre and the obvious opportunity swing presented for increasing the
audience for OKOM. An opportunity which still exists today.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone