[Dixielandjazz] Boring The Audience

jsbarque at netscape.net jsbarque at netscape.net
Sun Oct 22 00:58:30 PDT 2006

Dear Steve

Thank you for your kind observations. Yes, I think we generally agree.

I refuse to budge, however on my aversion to modern jazz of the "fire in a
pet shop" variety. Then, that is my personal view.  Sure, music will evolve
but, how far can it go and still come under the umbrella of Jazz? I have
heard "Jazz" played in clubs in Capetown which could only be termed hip-hop
by us. Because they call it jazz, it IS jazz to them and they wouldn't know
what they were hearing if we put on an Oscar Celestin or Sam Morgan 78.

My OKOM umbrella seems to have a few panels missing on the contemporary side
of jazz but, not on the traditional side. It does the job for me.

cheerio

CE