[Dixielandjazz] Boring The Audience

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 21 07:12:38 PDT 2006

Dear Cholmondeley:

I appreciate your post and readily accommodate an opinion other than my own.
And yours is a very very valid opinion. In fact it agrees with what I have
been saying/preaching for years. Namely that Dixielanders need to break out
from the old folks venues and start performing more in those public places
where the bulk of the audience is.

Perhaps some of the supposed opinion differences result from where we draw
our experience. e.g. UK and USA venues. The performance of Dixieland is very
different between them.

Actually your opinions are very much like mine. Your 3rd paragraph is
exactly what I have said for about 5 years on the DJML and ever since I
started performing again circa 1990. after a 28 year lay off.

It is also exactly what Branford Marsalis is saying. The charisma, and/or
stage persona is just as important, if not more so, than the musicianship.
Since he used the term "jazz", my opinion is that it includes all genres of
jazz. He is "historically" developed as a musician and knows OKOM as well as
most of us and I don't think he meant to exclude any form of jazz.

Please permit me to have one disagreement with you. Namely that we should
"bury" modern jazz. I agree with the guy that said "Jazz is a big tent.
There is room for all under it." Why should you or I attempt to deny
enjoyment of a jazz genre we don't like, to folks that do?

Bottom line. Here in the USA, unlike your next to last paragraph statement
about the UK, we are not "too busy going to live performances and having a
good time." Simply because there are not enough live performances to go to,
and/or (as a general rule) the existing audience to too old to go out at
night to a club. (yes there are a few people that do, but too damn few)  The
other point of my post was that too many OKOM bands are totally devoid of
charisma, energy and stage personae. Yet they bitch about folks not liking
OKOM? It is not OKOM they don't like, it is the band.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone