[Dixielandjazz] Boring The Audience

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Oct 21 07:54:57 PDT 2006

Cholmondeley Edkins wrote:

>Dear Steve
>
>I read your message just after arriving home from a shopping mall where a trad jazz trio of alto, tuba and banjo were performing, provided by the mamagement. I wish you could have seen it.
>
>Contrary to the thrust of your message, I saw a trio of very proficient musicians smiling, singing and relating to their audience. I'm sure it was not the kind of jazz which Branford Marsalis was referring to, which was most likely more contemporary. They gathered a crowd of people of all ages especially very young and, older. It was great to see young kids in strollers smiling and reacting to the music and people of all ages watching and listening. Admittedly, some teenagers did not show as much interest but, that is understandable.
>
>I frequently see OKOM bands performing in public places and, even when the musianship is not the very highest, the music speaks for itself. People love to see instruments being played by people who are obviously enjoying playing it to them.
>
>I hope Branford Marsalis is right, and the intellectual and cool forms of jazz are ready to bury. There is still plenty of danceable, enjoyable OKOM of the earlier varieties, enough to last a lifetime. I have 78s and LPs I havent had time to listen to yet. We are too busy going to live performances and having a good time. If the band has washboard, banjo, tuba etc. who needs anything else?
>
>I hope that you can accomodate an opinion in the list which varies from your own. To be consistent with what you said I really think you should have signed off with "doom and gloom" rather than "cheers"
>
>optimistically
>Cholmondeley

In an aside, I ask if I pronunce your name as "Chumley" will that be
close enough? I have an English friend here in Michigan USA who has
another name full I cannot guess at pronouncing -- fortunately he uses a
nick name -- and some on this side of the pond still have trouble with
Worchestershire Sauce. Another friend in Hampshire UK uses Hants for
Hampshite on his return address -- so go figure! Then of course, we can
go to our Upper Penisula of Michiganwhere they speak
a dialect called Yooper - most T's replaced with D's, so localism are
not unknown this side of the saltwater.
Just curious, and having fun with the differences!
Don
Don