[Dixielandjazz] Sit in

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Oct 21 02:24:59 PDT 2006

The other nite we had a sit in, a trombonist from NYC.  Young guy, about 35,
came in during the break with a trombone case over his shoulder.  Went to a
corner to nurse a drink.  Since he was nearby, I motioned him over, and
after about 10 minutes of music chat, I found he was touring with Bruce
Springsteen, with the extra brass he has added for his latest tour.  No
"hey, I'm great 'cause...." from this guy.

I asked him if he wanted to join us for a few tunes on the next set.  He
answered that he was happy just to listen!  (This is MY kind of guy!).
Nevertheless, I said to listen for a couple of tunes, and come up if he was
feeling like it.  He did, and we played two songs together:  Satin Doll &
St. Louis Blues...both tunes chosen in case ours wasn't his style.

He conformed to our style, copied the amount of choruses we had already done
(1 or 2, not 18 like some sit ins like to do!), and stood back out of the
limelight whenever possible.

I know I can go on a lot about sit ins, but this guy was following every
rule I believe in.  Final rule, and so very important...hand shakes &
sincere thank you's to everyone in the band, not just to the leader.  Clark
did it all.  What a breath of fresh air!

He joined us on Royal Garden Blues at the end of the set.  Said it was all a
great break from the routine work normally available to him.

In contrast, there was another guy there from Norway...also a trombonist.
Could he sit in?  No trombone, just a mouthpiece.  My normal line to that
one is that I never let anyone else play my horn.  He took my line & didn't
push it, but didn't look terribly pleased.  Sitting in should always be an
invitation, not an impossition.

Just a few ramblings....

Jim