[Dixielandjazz] Sit in

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Sat Oct 21 06:08:45 PDT 2006

Regarding Jim's sit-in post---
t ------There are great sit ins and lousy ones. I remember a night during a
gig in Down East Maine with four pieces, alto, my cornet, piano and drums when
a  young fellow who played trombone with the Boston Symphony walked into the
dance  hall without his horn just to listen. The sax man knew him (everyone
knows  everyone in rural Maine) and persuaded him to go out to his car and get
the  'bone.We had a great Dixieland session for several sets before he said
good  night, he had to return to Boston. Very modest fellow and a joy to jam
with.

And then there was the night a fellow asked me if he could sit in on my
Hammond organ. I played a steady five nights a week gig solo in a restaurant. He
proceeded to outplay me and I eventually had to "pry" him off the bench so I
could get back to the keyboard. Very embarassing, never forgot it! One never
knows when a "sit in" arrives how it will turn out.

Enjoyed your post Jim, and didn't mean to ramble  on!!                     Ted