[Dixielandjazz] Keys

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 10:31:45 PDT 2006

Last night I rehearsed with Tex Wyndham's local Red Lion Jazz Band. We had a
new banjo player there because our regular gal is on vacation. He was there
last week and will be with us for 2 more weeks.

I asked him what he found so enticing about rehearsing with us since he
lives far away and there are currently no gigs for him in 2006 or 2007.

He explained that he was used to playing with Mummers String Bands and
always worked in the sharp keys. This was a great chance for him to woodshed
in the Flat keys and so he jumped at it. Especially since we work from chord
charts which for him, are easy to follow.

Funny how one man's flat keys are easy, and the sharp keys are hard, when
another man's sharp keys are easy and the flat keys are hard.

Just a matter of practice he said, and for him, playing with us was the
easiest way for him to practice in the flat keys. Plus most tunes are
unfamiliar to him which makes it even better.

The difference in his playing from last week until last night was quite
apparent as he gets more flat key time.

Like the tourist lost in NYC who happened to ask a Bebop Sax player; "How do
I get to Carnegie Hall?

"Practice man, practice".

Cheers,
Steve