[Dixielandjazz] 6th Flat in Gb

jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com jobriant at sunrisetelecom.com
Wed Oct 4 10:25:04 PDT 2006

Russ Guarino wrote, in part:

> I think, because we play so much in -0-,1&2 sharps or flats,
> being hit with sight reading and jamming in 5 or 6 flats or
> sharps is darn difficult.

I would agree, partly because we don't play in those keys very often,
and partly because the fingerings tend to be more difficult on many
instruments.

> Such tunes would need some warm up if not out right rehearsal,
> which, as you know, is never done by the pros. At least from
> my experience.

My experience is just the opposite.  For example, we recently discussed
a Lu Watters tune, one in Db and Gb concert, that the Mission Gold Jazz
Band played at a retirement home mini-festival in Pacific Grove, CA.
The band had a rehearsal three days before the performance, where we
went over every tune we played that afternoon.  The rehearsal ran just
over three hours, and we played better because of it.

The best musicians and groups that I know rehearse on a regular basis.
That's one of the reasons they play better.

Jim O'Briant
Tuba
Gilroy, CA