[Dixielandjazz] Star Dust

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 4 06:20:08 PDT 2006

on 10/4/06 12:20 AM, Russ Guarino at russg at redshift.com wrote:

> I often ask musical friends why a tune would be played in a key like Db when a
> half a step down would be infinitely so much easier.  The only answer I get is
> that flat keys sound better.
>
> What?
>
> Russ Guarino
> clarinet maven

Certain songs do indeed sound better in certain keys. Most people should be
able to hear the difference, musicians especially. And as a general rule,
sharp keys sound brighter. e.g. play Indiana in G rather than F and you
should be able to hear the difference a key makes. And/or Stompin at the
Savoy which sounds better in Db than in F where lots of folks play it
because it's easier. Stardust? Sounds better in Db than in C according to
the musicians I work with.

All keys are easy if you woodshed them. Especially on clarinet because you
can switch registers to ease the burden of difficult fingering. I remember
Tommy Loy posting his band did not play much in Ab because the clarinet
players always told him it was a difficult key for them. Well we clarinet
players can solve that "difficulty" either by going to the lower register,
or by practicing Ab.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone