[Dixielandjazz] Keys?

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Oct 3 18:08:36 PDT 2006

Hope I am not being to obvious here, but in my experience playing
tuba in Country Western and Rock n Roll bands (more than once!) it
seems like the guitar/fiddle folk have a preference for sharp keys
(just as brass band/jazz bands have a preference for flat keys.) It
has to be something more than music education - I think it is more
related to the basic tuning of the instruments in the various groups.

Yes, we could learn to play comfortably in sharp (or flat) keys, and
I think a song that was written in a sharp key might sound slightly
different in some flat key (but not much.)  However, for an
experiment - try modulating a song the "wrong way" and see what happens!

I think the bigger "psychomusical" difference is between things like
Major and Minor scales. Blues Scales are a whole 'nother story...

Dave Richoux