[Dixielandjazz] Keys?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 18:47:30 PDT 2006

Hi Gang,

Dave Richoux wrote (concerning keys):

>Hope I am not being to obvious here, but in my experience playing
>tuba in Country Western and Rock n Roll bands (more than once!) it
>seems like the guitar/fiddle folk have a preference for sharp keys
>(just as brass band/jazz bands have a preference for flat keys.) It
>has to be something more than music education - I think it is more
>related to the basic tuning of the instruments in the various groups.

I am sure that Dave is correct in this reasoning. Country music is performed
primarily on guitars to accompany vocalists and guitars are tuned in such a
way that the following chords may be played in the first couple of frets on
the guitar and will allow for some of the 6 strings on a standard tuned
guitar to ring without being stopped at all.

A, C, D, E, G.

These "open string" chords have a rich ringing quality about them because
some of the strings are not being mashed down by soft and squishy fingers
which have a tendency to muffle the strings.

The chords F and Bb (which have all the strings stopped) is still within the
range of chords which can be easily formed in the first thee frets of a
guitar).

That means that the 1, 4 and 5 chords necessary for accompanying most folk
songs can be played with these basic chords provided one plays in any of the
following keys - A, C, D, E, and G. Every one of these keys is a "sharp" key
except C which has no sharps or flats at all. It is easier for the untutored
guitar player to play in these keys than in any of the others.

Basically the choice of key (I believe) has to do with the range of the
vocalist rather than the (dubious) "tone color" of the specific key, which I
still believe does not really exist.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "still confused" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com