[Dixielandjazz] Keys?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 18:31:50 PDT 2006

Hi Cees and all,

You wrote (regarding keys):

>I will always remember a quote by Wild Bil Davison. "F,,," the original
>keys, play it in the key
>that you can play your heart out! "It's not the key, it's the music that
>counts!

I just guessing here, but F has got to be one of the easiest keys to play on
the trumpet. Of course F concert on a trumpet has the trumpeter actually
playing in G (I think) which is one sharp. But that's neither here nor
there.

I think Wild Bill's admonition to play in the key in which you can play your
heart out had to do with playing in a familiar scale rather than one in
which one had to play lots of odd notes requiring concentration on the
intonation rather than the flow of the melodic line.

But still . . . my question about the "tambre" of sharp keys as somehow
being different that the tambre of "natural" or "flat" keys  eludes me.

I can't grasp the concept that a sharp key somehow has a different "tone
color" than some other key played on the same ax.

Cheers,

Bill "seeking enlightenment" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com