[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall Players

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Oct 3 17:58:30 PDT 2006

tcashwigg at aol.com wrote:

><...snip...>
>
>I am sorry but it will never be 1928 again, ...
>
><...snip...>

Of course, 1928 has nothing to do with Preservation Hall.  Allan Jaffe
opened PH in 1961.  IMHO, what is played there is NOT authentic NO jazz,
but authentic NO revival jazz.  I won't take anything away from
'revival,' but will add that this is not my preferred jazz style.

I visited PH as a teenager in the '70s with my father, sister and my
weimeraner, Kandi.  We all took in a show although Kandi had to watch
from the back gate of the entry alley.  At some point during the
evening, Kandi let us know she had enough by leaving a rather copious
poop on the floor.  Well, she was my dog, so I had to clean it up.

There was no problem finding scrap paper and cardboard to perform the
task until the question of doggy stool disposal came up.  I though I'd
just plop it into the toilet and be gone with the whole mess.  However,
the toilet was backed up and overflowing.  And, the substance covering
the floor was 17 times as foul as what I had in my hands.  I ended up
wrapping a lot more paper around the whole bundle and putting it in a
garbage bin.

In the end, Kandi didn't find BourBONE street up to her expectation.
Pa, sis and I had a great time though.

All the best, Gary