[Dixielandjazz] Preservation Hall Players

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Oct 3 18:08:55 PDT 2006

I completely understand what they are trying to do at the PH but there are
some musical things that just aren't good for example ignoring if you are in
tune or not.  A second one would be sounding like each guy was in a
different room rhythmically.  Authenticity is great and I don't mind
reproductions at all but there are some basics that seemed to be ignored.  I
can defer to people who have heard the band more than three times.  It's
quite possible that I hit them on a bad day.

I think making money is great for anyone and I don't envy or begrudge a cent
that any musician makes.  My comments are more to the sloppy musicianship
that I heard out of them.  It seemed to me that it was a retirement gig for
guys that had long ago gone over the hill.  Personally I hope that I am
wrong but my opinion seems to be backed up by others, at least to some
extent.

I don't think that musicians 100 years ago were that bad but on the contrary
most were pretty good.  Last time I was there I heard a kick ass group
playing in a restaurant near the French market that blew away the PH guys
and I thought they were pretty authentic.  Authentic shouldn't  mean bad.
Larry
St. Louis