[Dixielandjazz] You wouldn't wanna buy a Jazz band...

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Oct 2 22:40:43 PDT 2006

Hi Tom,

I'd be interested in your opinion and that of other experienced listmates on this. While I can see clearly what not to do from the example you posted, I find myself in a situation of wanting to target middle and lower income customers and provide music for their events. A couple of reasons:

1) Their events tend to be lower pressure and more fun.
2) These people have responded better to our music than the big bucks crowd.
3) They have been more willing to pay our somewhat below market price without dickering.
4) They often cannot afford a more expensive band and will go without or use amateur local talent instead if an alternative is not available.

While I do not advertise us as cheap or even inexpensive, I am quick to let inquirers know that we offer lower than market prices because we do not use PA equipment. Often the "unplugged" aspect is a selling point in its own right. I have included phrases like "happy music at happy prices" or something similar in advertisements.

So tell me how do we let a potentially large customer base know that we are "low-income friendly" without sounding cheap or amateurish?

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel