[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: You wouldn't wanna buy a Jazz band would you? Oh didn't think so sorry!

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Oct 2 21:04:14 PDT 2006

You didn't say what area this band is from.  There are many places where
nothing much happens during the week and bands have to hustle.  Let's face
it this band and just about every one else's on this site is dated and you
have to work harder at it to make people want to hire you.

Personally I don't know if they are good or bad.  You could be great in some
rink dink town and only work Saturdays.  When I was in college I traveled a
200 mile radius every week and I would have taken less if I could have
played locally but there wasn't anything happening in that town except C&W.
Heck I would even have liked a steady Saturday night in town.

On the other hand if this band is in the middle of LA, Chicago or New York
then I might think otherwise.

Marketing is difficult for bands.  If these guys are trying to break out of
a Saturday night rut then they might try some other marketing strategy
rather than just working cheaper.  This guy says he has a web site, maybe he
should be pushing people that way.  Is the web site any good? Do they have a
Demo?  What do they look like and how do they present themselves?

I don't know a whole lot of things about this band and their situation.  On
the surface it sounds wrong but there may be other factors too.

It sounds to me like the leader could just be a poor business man because no
one should advertise prices.  He might do better by offering multiple
booking discounts or Senior discounts from his regular, hopefully higher,
prices.

It could work like this.  You are booking at $100 per man for the first hour
and $50 for the second hour You could throw in the third hour free as a
discount.  That way you get $150 and they think they got a bargain when you
would have booked it for $150 in the first place.  If you book two more
dates from the first one then knock off a little on the second and third
gig. but they don't get both discounts.  This way you don't lose anything
and you get multiple bookings and they think they got a great deal.
Larry
St. Louis