[Dixielandjazz] You wouldn't wanna buy a Jazz band...

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Oct 2 23:57:59 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: jazzmin at actcom.net.il
To: tcashwigg at aol.com; dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Sent: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:40 PM
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] You wouldn't wanna buy a Jazz band...

   Hi Tom,

I'd be interested in your opinion and that of other experienced
listmates on
this. While I can see clearly what not to do from the example you
posted, I find
myself in a situation of wanting to target middle and lower income
customers and
provide music for their events. A couple of reasons:

1) Their events tend to be lower pressure and more fun.

I understand and agree with you.

2) These people have responded better to our music than the big bucks
crowd.

again that is generally the case here as well.  their is a price to pay
for the rich gigs.

3) They have been more willing to pay our somewhat below market price
without
dickering.

Then it is probably a little too cheap try going up 25% or so and see
what happens,
promote yourself as quality, and reasonably priced according to
expenses and livable fees.

4) They often cannot afford a more expensive band and will go without
or use
amateur local talent instead if an alternative is not available.

Then is when you have to use psychology and smooth talk your way in to
doing them a special favor for this one time and play for what they can
afford. :))

Always ask what their budget is before quoting a definitive price, ask
if they have allowed additional money for a P.A. even if you don't need
one or have any intentions of using one, sometimes you get a surprise
and they are willing to pay as much for the PA as they would for the
band :))   I often turn local small band $600.00 gigs into $900. TO
$1,500  TO SUPPLY THE P.A. FOR ALL THE BANDS AND OR DJ SERVICES DURING
THE BREAKS if they want it.  Pay the Dj $100.00 and hire anybody like a
roadie to do it.  Any idiot can play Cds during a break.  Heck I can
put them on and walk away for that matter.

While I do not advertise us as cheap or even inexpensive, I am quick to
let
inquirers know that we offer lower than market prices because we do not
use PA
equipment. Often the "unplugged" aspect is a selling point in its own
right.

Yes it can be especially when you start at the top with P A price
included, then you have a long way to let them bargain you down and you
can usually still get more money than starting small.   Once they get a
price that is what they will always offer you.   I often use the ploy
that we tour all over the world for big festivals for a lot of money
and expenses, but I know they probably can't afford our tour prices, so
we have special considerations for gigs like their if they are local.
Make them feel like thy are getting a ROLLS ROYCE FOR THE PRICE OF A
VOLKSWAGEN, but making them swear to not tell anybody what they got our
confidential price for.  :))   Yeah right they will tell all their
friends but the price is high enough by that point to be what I would
charge them minimum anyway.

Your people invented this game you know,  buy low Sell High :))   Since
you already know what your sidemen are gong to cost on the minimum
side, you get enough to cover them and pay yourself on top and all the
expenses and hopefully about a 40% profit for future operations etc.
Never split the money up equally, that will eventually break up any
band because they will expect it every time.  You are doing all the
work and getting all the gigs so you deserve to make more and keep a
bankroll to cover them if and when you get stiffed on a gig or need new
uniforms or instrument repairs etc.

have included phrases like "happy music at happy prices" or something
similar in
advertisements.

So tell me how do we let a potentially large customer base know that we
are
"low-income friendly" without sounding cheap or amateurish?

Slogans like Champagne at Beer prices,   A lot of playing it by ear and
seeing where the money flows and where it is likely to stop, just try
to manipulate it to the number you want to consistently keep as a
minimum for doing a gig.

Cheers,

Tom

Elazar