[Dixielandjazz] Louis

BOYER DONALD dnboy152 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 2 16:46:36 PDT 2006

Rae Ann - This is just a suggestion but I think the CD's you are referring to may be the set that Louis did in the mid 50's where he recorded a little spoken intro to each number followed with a newly recorded version of each number.  I have the 3 CD set on Jazz Unlimited JUCD 2003, 2004 and 2005.  The Title is "Louis Armstrong, The New and Revised Musical Autobiography, Vols 1, 2 and 3.  The notes say that these sides were recorded by Milt Gabler for original release on 4 Decca LP's.

  I would recommend these excellent, very interesting Cd's to you.  Hopefully, they are what you are looking for.  Perhaps some more knowledgable than I can confirm this or offer other suggestions.

  Best Regards
  Don Boyer, South Bend, IN

rahberry at comcast.net wrote:
  Listers:
I've been listening to the LOC Jelly Roll Morton CD's and that put me to wondering if there are similar tapes of Louis Armstrong...
When I was at the Costa Mesa festival in 2001 Louis' birthday was celebrated. The Nightblooming Jazzmen did two sets which included tapes of Louis talking, followed by his band playing, which then segued into the Night Bloomers playing.
How does one find those tapes to purchase?
I've been searching, to no avail, on Google.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
-- Rae Ann