[Dixielandjazz] The Downfall of the music industry.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 06:49:50 PDT 2006

on 10/2/06 5:42 AM, Bill Haesler at bhaesler at bigpond.net.au wrote:

>> This is hysterical.<
>
> Dear Steve,
> Mmmmmmmmmmm.
> Not really all that hysterical.
> Fact.
> I have been saying most of what is in that piece for years.
> But why should I care anyway, the Robbers Dogs Jazz Band will never be
> famous.
> I just hate paying the vultures royalties, for old songs, which will never
> get back to the authors (or their estates) when 'administration' costs are
> extracted.
> Not funny, nor hysterical either.
> More power to Yellow Thunder Woman and Robin Davey for saying it as it is.
> And advocating the new marketing tool to get the kids to their concerts -
> free downloads to show how good they are.
> It happened last year with an English 'rock' group, to the dismay of the
> record companies.
> (Mentioned at the time here on the DJML.)
> Over to you Mister Wiggins.

Dear Bill:

I agree with you about the premise of the article. The major labels are just
not interested in most bands/musicians. And so it is up to aspiring music
stars to make their own records, do their own download programs and figure
out how to get mass exposure without being controlled by philistines.

What is hysterical is how bad Yellow Thunder Woman's music is. When we add
that to the context of her rant, it is easy to see why they are trying to
give their music away free. Trouble is, like any "give away" marketing ploy,
giving away bad music free only hastens its demise.

Take a look at their web site and hear some of their "art".

Cheers,
Steve (Red Thunder Man) Barbone