[Dixielandjazz] Megaphones

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Nov 17 09:19:08 PST 2006

Mike Woitowicz wrote:
About 7 or 8 years ago, I acquired one for Jim Kash in Spain, had his band
name put on and shipped it to him. From what I understand, it's working out
quite well as a novelty item.
......... but the real gain is the change in tone to a sound somewhat like
the early 20th century recordings.

Yes, thanks again, Mike.  I must admit, however, that I don't use it often.
I find that my "Clear Tone" Mute (Tommy Dorsey style) is actually better for
getting the "old recording" sound, and people get a kick seeing me later jam
it up the bell of the horn to get a different sound on the trombone.  Plus,
the mute fits in my bag!

However, the megaphone is hugely useful for displaying the name of the band.
I uses a real megaphone once....one that had been used by fishing boats to
speak to one another.  It was HUGE, and had a rubber bit at the mouth end to
close around your chops.  Now THAT really worked!   :>

Jim