[Dixielandjazz] blending

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Nov 17 09:13:02 PST 2006

Larry brought up the subject of "blending".  Back in Jr. High School, the
band leader used to stop the band & ask if we could hear our neighbor.  If
we could hear ourselves above the sound of the neighboring musician, then we
were playing too loudly...not blending.  It's as important a musical
attitude as is dynamics (ups & downs in volume), that is learned or is not
learned early on.

Larry also mentioned "projection".  My trombone teacher used to stand across
the room from me & say "hit me with your sound, right here on my chest".  He
was not speaking about volume, rather projection of the sound.

What important lessons those were.

I remember recording in the first completely carpeted recording
studios....walls, ceilings, floor (a fad in the 1970's).  No projection of
your sound was possible.  They wanted complete separation from each section
of horns, so they could all be "treated" differently.  If you wanted to hear
yourself you had to stand in front of the studio glass separating the
musicians from the engineer.  When I complained about lack of resonance, the
engineer said "not to worry, he would put that in for me electronically!"  I
thought to myself, how silly to take away an asset that I have only to have
to add it back by electronic means.  Of course, all you had to do was put
the headphones on, and there was all this lovely churchy sound eminating
around the tone of your horn....but, it was not me!

The blended sound of the band needs to be there, along with good projection
& dynamics.  If all that reaches the audience with no amplification, or if
necessary (due to the room) with amplification, then they are hearing the
band as it sounds.  I prefer to use one mic for trumpet & trombone (we have
no reed), as then we control the blend (by getting closer/further away from
the mic), not the sound engineer.

Jim