[Dixielandjazz] Horizontal Washboard

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 13 22:05:07 PST 2006

>I don't follow the question. It ain't got skin/vellum; it has ripples of
metal. It is a washboard. Doesn't the washboard replace drums in a band?<

Come on Phil,
Didn't you watch the video?
Mike is right in asking, in THIS instance, "When does it stop being a
washboard and begin being a drum?".
And I certainly agree with him that "this player seems more like a drummer
to me than a washboardist."
The Frenchman[?] on the film clip in question hardly strokes his washboard,
and all the eye-catching percussive pyrotechnics are carried out
(bongo/drumming style) on the other 'thingos' attached to the TOP of the
rippled metal platform sitting across his lap.
Which raises the question.
Why is it that many so-called washboardists insist on attaching unnecessary
gadgets like mini splash cymbals, cowbells, woodblocks, sirens and other
heavy, useless, space-inhibiting objects to their washboards?
Novelty effect, confidence building or lack of ability?
When replacing drums in a band, the task of the serious washboard player
should be to maintain the given tempo and provide the rhythmic patterns.
And to listen to the other musicians in the band. No more, no less.
By all means use a free-standing cymbal for accents and solo occasionally.
But you know all that.
Kind regards,
Bill.