[Dixielandjazz] Horizontal Washboard

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Mon Nov 13 18:58:47 PST 2006

but raises the question: "When does it stop being a washboard and begin
being a drum?" (Is that a sentence?). In any event, this player seems more
like a drummer to me than a washboardist. Maybe it's just that his technique
was so good!!

Mike

I don't follow the question. It ain't got skin/vellum; it has ripples of
metal. It is a wasboard. Doesn't the washboard replace drums in a band.
The technique is good no doubt. It reminds me of the late Len Barnard on an
off day at the washboard, or Allan Browne or Cal Duffy and maybe even Ken
Farmer (all Australian "horizontal" washboard players).
If only I could be 25% as good.

Phil O'Rourke
Tenor Washboard
Australia