[Dixielandjazz] Mp3 ARE iPods!? Or are they?

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 13 11:34:32 PST 2006

Martin et al,

Yes, there are other MP3 players besides the iPod and they are all quite
good as far as I know. I would also assume that the other MP3 players come
with software that functions like iTunes. I like iTunes however, mostly
because it does the best job of "ripping" the tracks from a CD of any
similar software that I've used. I recently ripped all the San Francisco
Traditional Jazz Foundation CDs for the Foundation webmaster so he could
extract samples for the website. I had to do it twice because I first used a
piece of software that garbled a lot of the tracks. iTunes did it perfectly.

In order to break up a long string of tunes into separate ones, you need an
audio editor. There is a really good free one called Audacity
(http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows). In order to export MP3
files from Audacity, you will also need an MP3 encoder that is available
free from the same site. I think the reason you need to get this as a
separate "plug in" is because the inventors of the MP3 format charge an
unbelievable licensing fee for anyone writing software that encodes MP3. If
you are someone like Adobe (who bought the company that created CoolEdit
Pro), you can afford the fee, but smaller software developers can't.
Anyway...

With an audio editor, you first load a track into the editor and then you
can actually see the "picture" of the audio data (like on an occilloscope
sp?), highlight the part you want to extract (like in a word processor), and
then export it to a separate file.

Scott Anthony