[Dixielandjazz] Arizona swings!

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Mon Nov 13 13:02:20 PST 2006

Hi everyone,

There have been lots of posts about bringing swing dancers to concerts. I
knew before attending the Arizona Classic Jazz Festival last weekend that
there would be a lot of swing dancers (Lindy Hop and Charleston), so I made
sure to stay up late each night and enjoy the crowds of 20-something-year
old dancers having a blast and filling the ballroom with energy and amazing
vitality.

The entire festival seemed to be a huge success; the giant resort hotel was
filled to capacity, so kudos to Helen Daley, Joe Hopkins, the AZ Classic
Jazz Soc., and all the many sponsors of individual bands, including Barker
Hickox, who also made possible some excellent recordings throughout the
weekend. (Of course, everyone wanted the CDs instantly, but they won't be
out till Feb. at the earliest.)

Joe Hopkins and his son, (name???), brought in a late-night swing quartet
from New Mexico that knew exactly what the dancers wanted to hear. The
band's name was "The Crazy Cats," except that it was in French, which I
believe would spell out to be "Les Chats Lunatiques" ??? They were all very
young but very good, especially the violinist and the bass player (not that
the Django-style guitarist or the drummer were not, but the bass and violin
were hot players). They all dressed the part, from clothes to hats to
mustaches, and impressed a lot of the musicians who stayed up for their sets
that ended after 1:00 a.m. KUDOS to JOE HOPKINS and his son (and please send
me info on that band since I can't find a Web site or a MySpace page for
them.

Also, KUDOS to JOE HOPKINS, a fine musician himself and who has worn many
hats in AZ (from Prez to Fest. Dir. to current VP of the ACJS), for being
the one to tell a relatively unknown couple o' gals that they should form an
all-female band, which they later did, calling themselves MIGHTY APHRODITE.
(Anyone heard o' them?)

Doug Finke's Independence Hall was there, which I discovered quite by
accident as I walked past the venue and saw a vacationing John Allred
sitting in with them. Really glad I stopped to see them! It turned out to be
a great band that included Kim Cusak, Mike Walbridge, Charlie Caranicas, Ray
Templin (on drums!), John Royan, and Ken Salvo.

I still laugh thinking back to the lighting-fast wits of Jeff Barnhart and
Bob Draga together and in combination with Jim Fryer and Danny Coots in
Titan Hot 7, which enjoyed the fine playing of Randy Reinhart on cornet at
this festival. (Flip Oakes is officially their new trumpet, though.) Also
subbing was Westy Westenhofer on bass, and I saw John Cocuzzi (who sat in
with them a few times) nearly bust a gut laughing at Westy's "mouth trumpet"
rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

It was great to see Joe and his sister Rae Ann Berry, Buddy Apfel, plus
DJMLer Bill Schroeder and a few other DJMLers and STJS people having a great
time. I absolutely had a great time listening and dancing to music, and
partying with all the nice folks there. I'd love to attend again next year.

I'm also looking forward to the big Swing Dance Extravaganza and Hindy Hop
competition at this year's Sac. Jazz Jubilee. Get your All-Events Badges now
before the prices go up on Jan. 3rd (and still higher after April 8). The
whole festival is going to be FANTASTIC this year, so call or write the STJS
Office right away: (916) 372-5277; 2787 Del Monte St., West Sacramento, CA
95691.

Love and hugs,
Nancy

P.S. Still could not find anyone who had an update on Bob Finch. Does anyone
know if he is still in the hospital in Sun Valley, or is he home now? Please
write if you know! Thanks!!!