[Dixielandjazz] Electric (Electronic) Washboard

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:42:27 PST 2006

Hi all,

Future Man doesn't play an "electic washboard," he plays an electronic
percussion set. You can find them in drum departments of large music stores
or online. They're made by Roland, Yamaha, and several other companies.

They usually are set up like a regular drum kit but instead of actual drums,
cymbals, etc. one just has small disks which one strikes with the
drumsticks, hands, ball peen hammers, whatever  . . .

It looks to me like Future Man just built all those disks into a guitar like
contraption which he can hang over his shoulder and stand up there like Bela
and honk away.

The first time I ever saw him was when they were warming up and doing a mic
check for a concert they were giving later in the evening. It was at an
outdoor venue near Medford, Oregon and people were free to wander around the
grounds.

Anyway, I wasn't aware of who these guys were at the moment but I saw a huge
drum kit set up on the band stand and I kept hearing drumrolls, cymbal
crashes and tom toms just sort of noodling around like drummers do when
they're warming up.  Only there was nobody sitting at the drum kit which was
quite puzzling until I figured out it was that guy in the funny hat with the
weird ax slung over his shoulder that was producing all those extremely
realistic drum sounds.

It truly didn't sound like a novelty electric toy - it sounded like a real
drum kit. But then, after all, these electronic devices produce sounds that
are derived from samples of the real sounds.

Bela himself plays some electronic banjos with built in MIDI devices which
enable his banjo to sound like anything from a bassoon to a piccolo.

I don't mean to detract from the music Fleck makes . . . matter of fact,
he's one of my favorite musicians!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com