[Dixielandjazz] new technologies

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 10 12:15:20 PST 2006

Hello all,

Mike Logsdon wrote:

>I think what tends to be forgotten is that the new and the old
>peacefully coexist, at all times.

I wish that were true Brother Mike, but I really don't believe it. To the
contrary, I think life presents a constant battle between the forces the old
(NO CHANGE) and the new (CHANGE).

You know, the way the Conservatives really love the Liberals and vice versa
. . .

And so it is with the new advances in data storage. Digital Tapes are
history. No matter how hard we struggle to preserve the old technologies,
it's a losing battle.

For instance, the Army has never been the same since the cannon made their
catapults obsolete. You just don't see them in the armory stored alongside
mortars and grenades and stuff. The long bow is no longer standard issue.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "hand me my sword" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com